Well, the last day of 2016 has come. In a way, it’s hard to believe we are ready to start a new year but in another way, it feels about right.
2016 was full of precious memories, much laughter, many hard goodbyes, many tears, much inner struggle, and many lessons. Here are a few big things I learned this year:
- God is always faithful and His grace is sufficient to cover everything that happens in my life. One of the hardest things for me this year was that my family moved almost 1500 miles away from some of my closest friends and church family. It was very difficult, but God really showed me that even when everything around me is changing, He never changes. And throughout my first semester of college, I’ve seen His sufficient, sustaining grace strengthening me in the crazy busy weeks and also through the slower, less chaotic weeks.
- You never fully appreciate someone/something until they are not in your life anymore. I realized this with the passing of my grandma this Spring. I loved my grandma and talked to her pretty often on the phone. She has always been in my life for as long as I can remember. I never knew life without her. When she passed away, I realized how much she meant to me and to our entire family. I came to realize this also when my family moved but in a slightly different way. My friends and church family are still in my life, but not in the way they used to be. For almost four years, I lived as though life would continue on forever in the same way and did not value enough what I should have valued very highly.
- The adoptee community/movement is growing! It’s so exciting to see and participate in discussion within the adoption community, but especially in the adoptee community. When I first started struggling with adoptee stuff, I thought I was alone. But over the last year, I’ve found that I am very much NOT alone. And honestly, it is so comforting to know that there are other people out there going through the same things that I am. I truly admire the other adoptees who are sharing their stories and making a difference in the world and the adoption community.
- I’m not very consistent at blogging. Haha, ok, well, this isn’t really a surprise. for me. 😉 When I started this blog, I already kinda knew that I wouldn’t be posting regularly and um, yeah, that’s pretty much what has happened. Two problems I have that factor into me not blogging very often are 1)Sometimes there’s so much in my heart and in my mind, but I just can’t get it into coherent, written word. 2) Time…’nuff said.
Here are some of my goals for 2017:
- Keep growing. I still have so so much to learn. Yet I don’t want to forget what I have already learned.
- Keep connecting with other adoptees. Maybe this is kind of a given, but I think it’s really important to find people who understand your struggles so that you can all help each thrive and grow.
- Live in the moment more and not stress about what’s coming down the road. Life is far too short to spend time worrying if this will happen or if this won’t happen. And some of the greatest joys in life, come in the smallest, simplest forms.
- Blog more? So, I’m not going to promise regular posting but I’m going to aim for it if I can. 🙂 And I’m always open to suggestions for blog posts if you have any. 🙂
I’m thankful for 2016, even though it was a rough year. I learned a lot and I’m grateful for the opportunities to grow. My prayer for you and I for 2017 is that we would both “grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To Him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.” (1 Peter 3:18). Let’s keep looking and reaching forward to what is coming in this new year.